Re: RFC: doc for `Handling Tools that Produce Many Outputs'

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: RFC: doc for `Handling Tools that Produce Many Outputs'
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:20:21 -0800

Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

>  > Personally, I positively *like* "witness" - it describes what it is
>  > in a colourful way.
>
> For the records, this is the official English word for the same
> concept in logic.  A witness of an existential quantifier \exists
> x. P(x) is precisely a t such that P(t).  So I believe witness is
> perfect for the current job.

"Witness" is also used, sometimes, for the same purpose in
descriptions of distributed filesystem commitment operations.  I
tried to look up a paper reference for this, but couldn't quite
find it; I know I've seen it though.
--
"I didn't say it was your fault.
 I said I was going to blame it on you."