AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE Call in Automake 1.7

From: Drummonds, Scott B
Subject: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE Call in Automake 1.7
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:50:54 -0800

Hi, everyone,

Replies I got from this group with regards to a problem I was having in
my build environment (that used Automake 1.4) led me to request a
version upgrade.  I am now able to use Automake 1.7.  (Better, eh?)

After running automake on my existing configure.in, I received the
following error:

<quote>
configure.in:10: your implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE comes from an
configure.in:10: old Automake version.  You should recreate aclocal.m4
configure.in:10: with aclocal and run automake again.
</quote>

This surprises me, because I made the changes to my configure.in as
specified in the online documentation:

<quote>
If your configure.in has:

          AC_INIT(src/foo.c)
          AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(mumble, 1.5)

you can modernize it as follows:
          AC_INIT(mumble, 1.5)
          AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(src/foo.c)
          AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
</quote>

My old format (AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(package, version)) failed, and now the
new format is failing with Automake 1.7, as well.  What is the correct
usage of this macro call?

Thanks,
Scott