Problem with configure

From: Priit Voolaid
Subject: Problem with configure
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:53:57 +0200 (EET)

Hello,

i don't know is this the right place to ask my question. If not, sorry.
I have problem installing different packages from source, this due a wierd
behaviour of configure script in - you know, the script you must issue
before compileing the package.

I want all the necessery files to go in /opt directory, so i execute
configure with --prefix=/opt. All good, configure runs wiht no problems.
But after compilaiton 'make install' fails to copy everything to its
right place, under /opt dircetory.
After inspecting configure generated Makefile, i've found the problem. To
demonstrate what i mean, heres some lines from example Makefile:

# Install directories
PREFIX=                 --prefix/opt
prefix=                 --prefix/opt
exec_prefix=            ${prefix}
BINDIR=                 ${exec_prefix}/bin
INST_DIR=               ${prefix}/grass5

The PREFIX is defined as --prefix/opt instead /opt. Why is that? Where can
i search for source of this problem?

Thanks,
Priit Voolaid