FEATURE REQUEST: Uninstall script should be created by AutoMake.

From: Hans Deragon
Subject: FEATURE REQUEST: Uninstall script should be created by AutoMake.
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:30:46 -0500

Greetings.

Automake offers the target: uninstall This is great, but not enough. Following Eric's rant (http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/luxury-part-deux.html ; nice weapon he gave me :) ), I believe that AutoMake should build an executable uninstall script.

When a user downloads a tarball, he runs make install and the software is installed. But currently, he must keep the uncompressed tarball if he ever wishes to perform "make uninstall". Thus, the user cannot clear the disk space associated with the tarball.

Automake should create a script that simply contains all the "rm" commands and have it installed with the other binaries. If the package is name gplot for example, the uninstall script could be named gplot.uninstall and reside in the same directory as the binary gplot reside.

This option could be optional and off by default, but should become the standard in the long run. After installing a tarball, one should not have to keep it around.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
Hans Deragon
HP Managed Services, Amériques
Hewlett Packard
Montréal (Québec), Canada
Tél: +1 (514) 345-7900 x3666  (primaire)
     +1 (800) 477-6111 x20898 (backup)
Fax: +1 (514) 345-7979
Crl: address@hidden