Re: [Fwd: Can nobase_pkgdata_DATA take directories? Does not seam so.]

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Can nobase_pkgdata_DATA take directories? Does not seam so.]
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:04:16 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Hans Deragon wrote:

> Obviously, if you and I are building systems to emulate wildcards, its because
> there is definitively a need for wildcards to be supported.  Should we make a
> feature request?

Wildcards are for lazy programmers who are willing to allow wrong
files to be built or distributed by accident.

The existing Automake -hook targets provide package authors with
considerable control over what gets distributed, installed, and
uninstalled.  Since they can execute arbitrary shell code, wildcards
can be supported for any target which supports -hook.

Using run-time Makefile includes is not portable.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden