Re: automake 1.8 performance problems

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: automake 1.8 performance problems
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:39:51 -0800

>  Harlan> We have a tree with over 1200 Makefile.am's.
>
> Congrats :)

:)

Remember my last go-round about me having to edit some of these by hand?  In
the end it was 482 of them (near as I can tell).  I was able to script the
remaining 800 or so file changes.  And I only had to manually change the 482
Makefile.am's twice.

>  Harlan> Under automake-1.5 these files were processed in about
>  Harlan> 15 minutes on a reasonably zippy machine.
>
>  Harlan> Under 1.8 this takes over an hour and a half.
>
> Do you have figures for 1.6.3 and 1.7.9?  That may help
> narrowing the problem.

I'll ask my manager for permission to test this.  I can easily at least time
the automake runs for these releases.

> Also it would be interesting to describe your tree a bit more (I
> presume you cannot publish nor reduce your test case...).  How
> many configure.{in,ac} do you have?

One in the main tree, and I do some Horrible Things to effectively invoke
"autoreconf" in, say, 4 other subtrees (grub, ntp, etc.).

> Do you use lots of AM_CONDITIONALS? (How many per-subproject, and how many
> per-Makefile.am?)

More that I would like - at the moment there are 41.

Most Makefile.am's use between none and maybe 8.

> You could also run automake in `--verbose' mode and try to get
> the feeling of were time is spent.

We do, and I haven't noticed anything obvious; I'll look again.

Thanks very much...