Making non-standard target

From: Greg Wright
Subject: Making non-standard target
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:15:42 -0500

I have a legacy Fortran 77 application that I am setting up to port between
architectures, which has five modules that are built from almost exactly the
same source except for the definition of a common area that defines the size of
an array that is operated on for each module. For the sake of the argument,
let's say one is operating on a 1000 x 1000 array, the second is operating on a
2000 x 2000 array and so on. I am stuck with Fortran 77, so using dynamic
arrays is out. The current build process goes something along the lines of:

@cp common_array_1000.incl common_array.incl
${F77} -o myapp1000 myapp.f
@cp common_array_2000.incl common_array.incl
${F77} -o myapp2000 myapp.f

And so on. For various reasons, they do not want to just build one version with
the biggest possible array, so I need to somehow either (a) have Automake
create a Makefile where I can have the five different targets pointed to by
all-am, or (b) I can just code this one Makefile by hand (which I'd rather not
do, but I can if there is no clean way to have Automake create the file). Any
assistance in this area would be appreciated.

--
J. Gregory Wright <address@hidden>
Software Engineer

Sent via the KillerWebMail system at Integrity Applications Inc.