Re: Problems after upgrading gnu tools

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Problems after upgrading gnu tools
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 11:36:08 +0100

Jay West wrote:
2) I was always getting this other problem, even before upgrading. It's a
minor annoyance but was wondering if someone could tell me what was
happening or if it was a bug. Several times during a configure, configure is
looking for the maximum length of command line arguments. On all the times
it tests except one, it gets a numeric sensible result... but every time on
ONE of the tests, I get the following:

checking whether f77 accepts -g... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... expr: syntax error
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok

Any thoughts on why this happens just once, and the other times this test is
performed (during the same configure session) it works?

It was a bug, fixed in autoconf CVS by the patch in:
  http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf-patches/2004-04/msg00028.html

Cheers,
        Gary.
--