Re: excessive bounces

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: excessive bounces
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:01:22 +0200

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 07:43, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Jay West wrote:
> > You should have sent this to the list owner/admin, not the list.

> Lars Hecking wrote:
> >  Most likely, the same thing happens to OP that happens to me: the lists
> >  run at gnu.org are crawling with spam, and a good number of them get
> >  rejected somewhere between gnu.org and OP's final destination. After a
> >  certain number of rejections, $LIST_MEMBER's subscription is disabled
> >  automatically.
>
> I see that too.  Here are some things that can be done about it.
>
> Whitelist monty-python.gnu.org in your access lists.

Are you serious?

I know what you mean, but I feel this is playing with symptoms. Given
the amount of spam gnu.org relays, the auto*tools's list policy finally
should be reconsidered.

Face it, this is not 1994 anymore, the internet has lost its innocence,
and badly maintained open lists like the auto*tools lists on gnu.org are
a relict of the past.

> Hope that helps,
No, AFAIS, somebody at gnu.org seems to have configured their mailserver
in a way, I seem to have been automatically unsubscribed from many of
their lists without prior notice. Worse, the gnu.org-mailserver now
seems to filter out way too much, in such a way most of my postings
doesn't seem to make it through the gnu.org server.

Sorry, if this sounds like ranting,  but I feel something needs to
change.