Re: how are files in .libs/ dirs installed?

From: SainTiss
Subject: Re: how are files in .libs/ dirs installed?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:31:39 +0200

This seems to be related:

http://www.mail-archive.com/lesstif%40lesstif.org/msg00278.html

running make install twice does indeed work...

Is this a libtool bug after all then?

Cheers,

Hans

On Saturday 12 June 2004 11:28, SainTiss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If this is *not* the right mailing list, please be so kind as to direct me
> elsewhere...
>
> This may not be the brightest question ever, but I've got a problem here
> where, during the build, several files are created in .libs/ subdirs (which
> I understand is libtool's responsibility). Files from most of those dirs
> are eventually installed during the "make install" phase, but at least one
> file from at least one .libs/ dir is not... So I was wondering what
> "criteria" need to be met for those files to be installed during "make
> install"?
>
> To make it more specific, I'm packaging "gambas", for which I had to change
> some small things in Makefile.am files, so I now run the following to
> generate the Makefiles:
> libtoolize --force
> aclocal
> autoheader
> automake -a
> autoconf
> ./configure --with-kde-libraries=/usr/lib/kde3 --prefix=/usr
>
> I ran into another problem with one makefile.am (probably not
> coincidentally the one in the dir where the file isn't being installed),
> with errors like these:
> src/exec/Makefile.am: object `gbx_subr_test.$(OBJEXT)' created both with
> libtool and without
>
> Looking in that file, I indeed noticed that many *.c files were listed
> twice, both under "gbx_SOURCES" and "lib_gb_la_SOURCES".
>
> So I removed them from gbx_SOURCES, and then all makefiles were
> successfully generated...
>
> The build process completes successfully as well, except that, when
> installing the resulting rpm, it complains that "lib.gb.so.0" is needed,
> which should be provided by the package itself... So I noticed that file is
> created during build in src/exec/.libs/, but for some reason it is not
> installed during "make install".
>
> Could this have anything to do with me deleting part of the Makefile.am? I
> pasted the original file at the bottom...
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Hans
>

> src/exec/Makefile.am:
>
> INCLUDES = -I$(top_srcdir)/src/share @INTL_INC@ @CONV_INC@ @GBX_THREAD_INC@
> @INCLTDL@
>
> bin_PROGRAMS = gbx
> pkglib_LTLIBRARIES = lib.gb.la
>
> gbx_LDADD = -lm @INTL_LIB@ @CONV_LIB@ @GBX_THREAD_LIB@ @LIBLTDL@
> lib_gb_la_LIBADD = -lm @INTL_LIB@ @CONV_LIB@ @LIBLTDL@
> lib_gb_la_LDFLAGS = @LD_FLAGS@
>
> gbx_SOURCES = \
>  gb_common_buffer.h gb_common_swap.h gb_common_case.h gb_common.c \
>  gbx_debug.h \
>  gb_error.h gb_error.c \
>  gb_alloc.c gb_array.c \
>  gbx_stack.h gbx_stack.c \
>  gb_buffer.c gbx_replace.c \
>  gbx_list.h gbx_list.c \
>  gbx_hash.h gbx_hash.c \
>  gb_table.c \
>  gbx_type.h gbx_type.c \
>  gbx_value.h gbx_value.c \
> [...]

- --
Ark Linux - Linux for the Masses (http://arklinux.org)

If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it
 -- Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Capitalism:
You don't have any cows. The bank will not lend you money to buy cows,
because you don't have any cows to put up as collateral.

Representative Democracy:
You have two cows. Your neighbors pick someone to tell you who gets the milk.

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Hans Schippers
2LIC INF
UA 2003-2004