Re: rsync to copy files?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: rsync to copy files?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:28:11 +0200

Please reply to list only (I have Mail-Followup-To: set), or at least
use the same message for both replies, so I don't have to reply twice.
Thank you.

* Volker Boerchers wrote on Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 03:57:35PM CEST:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 02:16:37AM CEST:

[using 'cp -u' or similar within Automake's install* rules]

> > If you change the install semantics, please consider keeping the
> > 'one install line echoed per file' rule.  Please also make the new
> > behavior (e.g. not overwriting files with newer timestamp) optional,
> > the default being the old behavior.  Otherwise, hard-to-debug
> > failures could occur.
>
> an easy way to replace 'install' is to overwrite the INSTALL variable
> temporarily (at least with gnu make):
>
>   make INSTALL=myinstall install

Yes, I know, thank you.  I was not referring to a particular way to
install a particular software, but rather to the way the Automake
install rules should work.  Say, I test a package in a second build
tree with different compile options, and then decide to re-install
the old package from the first build tree, I do not want to end up
with a mixed installation even if I forgot to 'make uninstall' in
between.  I just would not expect 'make install' to behave that way.

Does that make the intention of my comment clear?

Regards,