Re: automake bug

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: automake bug
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:30:06 +0200

>>> "Danny" == Danny Backx <address@hidden> writes:

 Danny> Hi,
 Danny> I am using automake, autoconf, and libtool for projects such
 Danny> as Xbae. The distribution method is "make dist". In the
 Danny> distribution file for Xbae-4.50.93 (available at
 Danny> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xbae/Xbae-4.50.93.tar.gz?download
 Danny> ), you'll see that the file
 Danny> scripts/Makefile.in
 Danny> is mysteriously mission.

 Danny> I've since tried to work around this and found that adding
 Danny> Makefile.in to the DIST_COMMON in scripts/Makefile.am
 Danny> avoids the problem.

The problem is that you define the internal variable
DIST_COMMON.  Automake will never overwrite a variable you
defined, assuming you know better than it does.

  * To fix you problem, simply remove this variable definition
    and let automake do its job: the two files it lists are files
    that automake would automatically distribute anyway.

  * To distribute extra files, do use the documented variable
    EXTRA_DIST.

  * Running `automake -Wall' will warn you about user definitition
    that overwrite automake variable (among other things).

[...]

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz