distcheck bug

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: distcheck bug
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:43:43 -0500 (CDT)

There is an Automake bug in 'make distcheck' which is causing me considerable pain. The problem is that while configuring subordinate builds, Automake allows configure to use any old compiler rather than the one specified with CC or CXX while configuring the project. In spite of using any old compiler, it takes great care to pass other user-provided options (e.g. -L options) to the subordinate builds.

This bug causes 'make distcheck' to needlessly fail for me when I specify the use of a 64-bit compiler, and a linker search path suitable for that compiler. The subordinate builds end up using a 32-bit compiler along with options which only work for the 64-bit compiler so 'make distcheck' fails.

Is use of any old compiler accidental or intentional?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden