Re: libtool relink problems with multiple libtool libraries

From: J.T. Conklin
Subject: Re: libtool relink problems with multiple libtool libraries
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:51:59 -0700

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:
>> Is there any way to describe this install dependency in automake?  Is
>> reordering the libraries in the Makefile.am necessary and/or sufficent?
>
> This is an on-going problem with Automake and difficult to solve. The
> only current solution is to carefully order the list of libraries so
> they happen to be installed in a working order.

Bleh.  Handling these kinds of ordering issues are the reason we have
tools.

I ended up solving this problem by first extracting a list of
libraries from lib_LTLIBRARIES and dependencies from *_LIBADD; then
creating a list of graph vertices for each library/dependency; and
finally then doing a topological sort to get the order.

This seems like a general solution to the problem, although knowing
nothing about automake internals I don't know how difficult it would
be to implement.

   --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin