Re: Using automake to install config.sub and config.guess

From: William S Fulton
Subject: Re: Using automake to install config.sub and config.guess
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 20:52:03 +0100

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
"William" == William S Fulton <address@hidden> writes:

 William> Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
 >>>>> "William" == William S Fulton <address@hidden> writes:
 William> We are using AC_CANONICAL_HOST which requires config.sub
 >> and
 William> config.guess. We'd like to pick these files up from automake which
 William> regularly updates these on each automake release. We are using
 William> automake but not libtool so can't use libtoolize which is able to
 William> install them. Also
 William> automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
 >> There is a fix for this bug in CVS.  Automake 1.9.1 will update
 >> these files on such incantation.
William> Okay that's great.
Sorry, I answered too fast.  The fix I was talking about is for
AC_CANONICAL_TARGET and AC_CANONICAL_BUILD which were not
recognized.
I cannot reproduce your problem with AC_CANONICAL_HOST, it
appears to work just fine: automake --add-missing --copy
--force-missing DOES overwrite config.sub and config.guess.

I've narrowed the problem down and it can be demonstrated with a cut down version of our build structure. See the testcase below. The problem is with subdirectories and the root directory containing a Makefile.in rather than a Makefile.am. Is there perhaps anything I can put in the root Makefile.in to get config.sub and config.guess installed?

William

. ./defs || exit 1

mkdir one

cat > configure.in << 'END'
AC_INIT
AC_CANONICAL_HOST
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(nonesuch, nonesuch)
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile one/Makefile)
END

# These two lines succeed in getting automake to install config.sub and
config.guess
#cat > Makefile.am << 'END'
#END

# These two lines fail to get automake to install config.sub and config.guess
cat > Makefile.in << 'END'
END

cat > one/Makefile.am << 'END'
END