Distributing BUILT_SOURCES dependencies and not target

From: Xavier Décoret
Subject: Distributing BUILT_SOURCES dependencies and not target
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:00:39 +0200

Hi,

I am compiling a project with a swig generated file. Swig is a tool that takes a foo.i file and generates a foo_wrap.cxx (it can do more but no our concerne here ;-)).

In my Makefile.am, I put:

line 1: foo_wrap.cxx: foo.i line 2: $SWIG -c++ -python foo.i
line 3:
line 4: BUILT_SOURCES: foo_wrap.cxx
line 5: libfoo.la_SOURCES: foo_wrap.cxx
line 6:
line 7: dist_data_DATA: foo.i

First question: I put line 7 because I want the .i file to be distributed so people can re-generate the .cxx file with their own version of swig ($SWIG is set by a m4 command SWIG_PROG in configure.in). Is this the correct way to do it. It seems make dist produce tarballs with the file in it som I am happy.

Second question: The problem is that foo_wrap.cxx gets distributed too. And since it is always more recent that .i file after I ran make. I don't have the expected behaviour. Downloaders of the lib won't get the foo_wrap.cxx regenerated. How do I remove this file from the dist.

Third question: with this Makefile.am, make dist produce a tarball that I can install, compile, etc... but make distcheck complains that it cannot find foo.i!! But it *is* in the tarball?!? I don't get at all what's happening here.

Thanks for the help.