Re: Implementing Automake in Scheme

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Implementing Automake in Scheme
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 09:26:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Norman Gray wrote:

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Luis Araujo wrote:

I email to ask you for further information about a task in the section "GNU Help Wanted" in savannah, named "Implement automake in Scheme" , there is a brief description

I didn't know there was such a thing as the `GNU Help Wanted' list, but I've long thought such a project would be an excellent idea. It's a pretty natural language for such a task, and quite a few of the important bits of automake.in are, it seems to me, written in a pretty functional style anyway. And scsh is POSIX, portable, and pretty lightweight.

Automake is already written. It took years. Perl is already installed on most machines. Scheme is not. It is surely a waste of time to re-implement something simply because it does not use a FSF-preferred language. There must be something more useful for volunteers to work on.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden