Re: package creation

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: package creation
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:42:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Gustavo A. Baratto wrote:

I thought this was a very well requested feature, but I after searching on
the mailing list archives, I found out that it is not...

Basically, what I looking for is a 'make package' rule, where all the files
that would be installed, plus an install script could be tarred up together,
so we can copy the tarball to many diferent servers, unpack it, run the
script, and the files get installed without the need of copying over or nfs
mounting the whole source code? Not a fancy full blown package like rpm.

Here is most of what you need:

.PHONY: package
RELEASE_TAR=$(PACKAGE_TARNAME)-release-$(PACKAGE_VERSION).tar.gz
RELEASE_DIR=$(PACKAGE_TARNAME)-release-$(PACKAGE_VERSION)
package: all
        $(RM) $(RELEASE_TAR)
        mkdir -p $(RELEASE_DIR)
        $(MAKE) install DESTDIR=`pwd`/$(RELEASE_DIR)
        (cd $(RELEASE_DIR) && tar -czf ../$(RELEASE_TAR) *) && \
        $(RM) -r $(RELEASE_DIR) && \
        echo Created binary release package \"$(RELEASE_TAR)\".

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden