Re: non-recursive make and tests

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: non-recursive make and tests
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:16:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Robert Collins wrote:

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 20:30 -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

It would be quite helpful if Automake offered a mode in which it
automatically changed the working directory to the directory where the test
program/script resides and set $srcdir to the relative position in the source
tree to support VPATH builds.  This would emulate the operation of recursive
builds.  Either a global Automake option could be used to enable this
(subdir-tests), or a "RTESTS" (relative tests) mode would be provided.

It seems that this topic has not caught anyone's interest since there
have been no follow-up posts today.  Surely someone else has converted
their recursive project to a non-recursive project and noticed that it
is very difficult to get test suites working again?

I found it trivial. Mind you, all my tests are - by design - self
contained.

Most of the tests for the package I maintain require that the test read an existing input file, and write an output file. Sometimes the written result needs to be compared with another existing file.

For scripts I can find the source directory (where input files are stored) by doing something like

SRCDIR=`dirname $0`/

in the script. Unfortunately, this cludge is apparently not working if the build directory is under the source tree, so distcheck is failing. Probably another layer of cludges is required. :-)

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden