non-portable makefiles?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: non-portable makefiles?
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 20:39:21 -0500 (CDT)

If Makefile.in was generated under FreeBSD 5.0, then when I run the test suite, I see this happy output:

gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/home/bfriesen/build/GraphicsMagick-8-static'
PASS: Magick++/tests/test_exceptions.sh
PASS: Magick++/tests/test_appendImages.sh

If automake was run under Solaris 9 but the tests are then run under FreeBSD (in the same directory as before ) I see this less happy output:

gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/home/bfriesen/build/GraphicsMagick-8-static'
usage: dirname path
PASS: Magick++/tests/test_exceptions.sh
usage: dirname path
PASS: Magick++/tests/test_appendImages.sh
usage: dirname path

Apparently when automake is executed to generate Makefile.in, some saved information is OS-dependent. That is bad.

I am using a VPATH build, and sometimes manually run automake in the source directory under Solaris.

I first noticed this problem while executing the development (alpha)
libtool tests. The libtool bootstrap was executed under Solaris, but then I ran the libtool tests under FreeBSD.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden