Re: compile problem

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: compile problem
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 23:27:02 +0100

Salut Alexandre!

Welcome back.  Hope you enjoyed your vacation :-)

On 7 Sep 2004, at 22:03, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

"Gary" == Gary V Vaughan <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 08:29:07PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:

I just tried to build cvs libtool with cvs auto* all from today, and get:

make  all-recursive
Making all in .
cd . && /bin/ksh /usr/src/local/libtool/config/missing --run automake-1.9a --gnits
libltdl/Makefile.am: C objects with per-target flags but `AM_PROG_CC_C_O' not in `configure.ac'

[...]

 Gary> Libtool has a non compiler specific version of that macro called
 Gary> _LT_COMPILER_C_O which is automatically called by LT_INIT.

 Gary> Do we need to patch automake to accept LT_INIT for
 Gary> subdir-objects projects, or do you think AC_PROG_CC_C_O
 Gary> should be merged with _LT_COMPILER_C_O?

It's AM_PROG_CC_C_O Automake needs, not AC_PROG_CC_C_O.

I'm installing the following.

2004-09-07  Alexandre Duret-Lutz  <address@hidden>

        * automake.in (lang_c_rewrite): Do not require AM_PROG_CC_C_O for
        libtool objects.
        (handle_single_transform): Pass nonansi_obj to &$subr so
        lang_c_rewrite can distinguish libtool objects.
* tests/libtool7.test: Use subdir-objects without using AM_PROG_CC_C_O.
        Report from Gary V. Vaughan and Patrick Welche.

Once again, my perl-fu is insufficuent to the task :-@

So does that simply mean that libtool objects can be correctly built as subdir-objects without AM_PROG_CC_C_O? Sorry to bug you, just making sure I understand why you made the patch the way you did...

Cheers,
        Gary.
- --
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}