Re: dependency tracking for .S assembler files

From: Martin Waitz
Subject: Re: dependency tracking for .S assembler files
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:58:24 +0200

hi :)

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:50:19AM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> How well does this patch work for filesystems which do not preserve
> case in file names?

I guess the patch doesn't change the situation here.
Mixed case filenames on such filesystems have always been a problem.

This patch just introduces different handling of .s/.S files in
automake. gcc is already treating those files differently so there
shouldn't be a great difference with or without this patch.

> Do we need to support filesystems which don't preserve case?

I don't think we have to special-case them.
Most things still work but if you want to store several files that
only differ in case then you have to use a case sensitive filesystem.
It's that simple ;).

But perhaps you are right and we should not separate handling of .s and .S.
autodep could be set for assembler files unconditionally.
I haven't yet tested if gcc would be confused by that.
And somebody should take a look at other compilers, too.

--
Martin Waitz