Re: dependency tracking for .S assembler files

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: dependency tracking for .S assembler files
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:44:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Martin Waitz wrote:

hi :)

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:50:19AM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
How well does this patch work for filesystems which do not preserve
case in file names?

I guess the patch doesn't change the situation here.
Mixed case filenames on such filesystems have always been a problem.

It seems that it would be good for Automake to provide a way to work around this problem. One way would be to support file extensions which differ other than by case and recommend using that extension.

If Automake supports the .C extension to indicate C++ files, then that would seem to be a problem except that there are several other extensions which also work to indicate C++ files.

This patch just introduces different handling of .s/.S files in
automake. gcc is already treating those files differently so there
shouldn't be a great difference with or without this patch.

Do we need to support filesystems which don't preserve case?

I don't think we have to special-case them.
Most things still work but if you want to store several files that
only differ in case then you have to use a case sensitive filesystem.
It's that simple ;).

As I recall, CVS also can have issues when two file names only differ by case. It is best to avoid that scenario.

For assembler it seems unlikely that there would be both a .S file and a .s file, unless the .S file has been processed into a .s file.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden