Re: Getting web content past distcheck

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Getting web content past distcheck
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:21:18 +0200

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 10:13, address@hidden wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 06:26:20AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > This requires you to let $(WEBDIR) default to a directory containing
> > $(prefix) in its root. For example you could use something similar to
> > this in your configure.ac:
> >
> > WEBDIR=${WEBDIR-\$(pkgdatadir)}
>
> Isn't it ${WEBDIR:-\$(pkgdatadir)}?
>                 ^^^
Well, ${VAR-VALUE} is correct.

It is the construct, autoconf uses all over the place when it wants to
preset vars. I don't recall exactly why it uses ${VAR-VALUE} instead of
${VAR:-VALUE}, probably because of portability reasons.

> Out of curiosity:
>
> How portable are such constructs (I mean ${...:...}?
> Are they OK under the Autoconf `portable shell' ideal?
I don't know. IIRC, there is a section on this topic in autoconf.info.

In general, I'd recommend to avoid all of them whenever possible
(Probably except of ${VAR-VALUE}, because otherwise autoconf would not
work at all)