Forcing the linking language

From: Norman Gray
Subject: Forcing the linking language
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:19:21 +0100

Greetings.

Is there any way of indicating to automake which language to use when linking a library?

I'm assembling a (shared) library using convenience libraries:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la
libfoo_la_SOURCES =
libfoo_la_LIBADD = stuff/libconvenience.la

Now, libconvenience.la is a convenience library of objects built from _Fortran_ sources. This means that the libfoo shared library should be assembled using the F77 or FC languages (this matters on OSX: this situation requires libtool's Fortran magic, since the OSX linker has a big downer on common blocks, and needs to be told to chill out a bit).

However automake doesn't know this, so it tries to use gcc to link the library, which fails. Is there any way of giving it a hint, here?

Using libfoo_la_LINK isn't the solution, since that would require me to copy the long LIBTOOL definition that automake generates (which I oughtn't to have to know about); manually adding --tag=F77 to the libtool line works, but there's no way of inserting that from within Makefile.am without redefining LIBTOOL (again using internals). There's no mechanism that seems obvious from automake.in, though I confess I have only a fairly sketchy idea of how it is that handle_single_transform_list (yes?) determines the language to use for the link.

I've managed to get this to work by setting

libfoo_la_SOURCES = dummy.f

where dummy.f is a trivial Fortran routine. That tells automake that Fortran is involved somewhere, and it consequently does The Right Thing. But this seems like a bit of a hack.

There's nothing leaps out from the list archives. Does anyone have any advice?

Best wishes,

Norman

Norman Gray  :  Physics & Astronomy, Glasgow University, UK
http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/  :  www.starlink.ac.uk