Re: Possable automake 1.9 bug

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Possable automake 1.9 bug
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:02:32 +0200

[Sorry for the delay.  I have been switching providers.]

>>> "Chris" == Chris Ison <address@hidden> writes:

 >> Libtool libraries are not programs.  If that used to work in 1.8 it
 >> was a bug.

 Chris> it certainly worked in 1.6 to 1.8 (and maybe earlier but I can't
 Chris> remember that far back),

It was a bug that previous versions did create a library out of
a _PROGRAMS variable.  That's against the documentation of
_PROGRAMS and even against common sense.

 Chris> but not 1.9 ...

1.9.3 will correctly try to create programs named cd_file.la,
cd_linux.la, etc. without the diagnostics you reported.

 Chris> if this has changed in 1.9 what is the right way to do
 Chris> it (using the Makefile.am in earlier email as reference)

The way it has always been documented is to use _LTLIBRARIES.
Please take a look at the manual, the section `Building a Shared
Library' was revamped last year.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz