LIBOBJS problem with automake 1.8

From: Peter Simons
Subject: LIBOBJS problem with automake 1.8
Date: 25 Oct 2004 16:52:11 +0200

Hi,

in a project of mine, I ship versions of getopt and
getopt_long for backwards compatibility with older systems.
I test for the existence of these functions in the OS with
Autoconf, and if I don't find them I define:

  if test "x$have_getopt_h" != "xyes" -o "x$have_getopt" != "xyes"; then
      AC_MSG_RESULT([Using our own version instead.])
      CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -Ilibgetopt"
      AC_LIBOBJ(libgetopt/getopt)
      AC_LIBOBJ(libgetopt/getopt1)
  fi

Now my problem is that Automake will add the files

  libgetopt/getopt.o
  libgetopt/getopt1.o

to the list of dependencies, but these paths aren't right,
because the compiled objects will be placed in

  ./getopt.o
  ./getopt1.o

..., not in the libgetopt directory. Thus, compilation fails
because the linker won't find the files.

Is there any simple way to fix this? Preferably one that
does not involve moving my files in the repository?

Peter