Re: Convincing Automake to support libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Convincing Automake to support libtool
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:46:29 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

It seems that none of the libtool related macro definitions are being expanded in configure even though aclocal and autoconf do not produce any warnings. I expect that this is why Automake does not detect libtool.

What I have now learned the hard way is that aclocal ignores the AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4]) definition in configure.ac. As a result it does not look for extra m4 files in the m4 subdirectory. In order to bootstrap and obtain a working configure script I had to execute:

aclocal -I m4 && autoheader && autoconf && automake

It seems to me that this is a bug in aclocal.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden