Re: svn copy conflicts with autotools ?

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Subject: Re: svn copy conflicts with autotools ?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:24:33 -0200

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:13:45AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > "If you're doing that, you're weird. Go away".
> >
> > The translation for that would be:  Why the heck are you keeping
> > auto-generated files in a RCS system?  Get them out of there, they do NOT
> > belong in the repository!
>
> if you are that firm about the issue, you might try to convince Bruno to
> fix the node ``Files under CVS'' in the gettext manual.

Hmm... just to make things clear, the "weird" thing was told TO me, not by
me.  It just happens that I think the person who said it was actually right
on the issue (even if HE is the weird one IMHO).

At least for CVS, it has been a major help in my experience to never
register any autogenerated files on version control.  Although I *do* keep
history of all releases, so you could say I have some sort of version
control of everything (including all autogenerated files) as far as released
tarballs go.

> I learned from that text how can autotools and CVS/svn combined.
> Though I personally obey the rule ``no generated files in the RCS'',
> I seriously considered the other alternatives because of that text.

I will read it, I am curious about what it says that could have such a
strong effect on you.  Maybe it can change my mind about the issue (but I
doubt it)...

  Henrique Holschuh