Re: svn copy conflicts with autotools ?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: svn copy conflicts with autotools ?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:45:36 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:15:12AM -0400, Leonardo Boiko wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >Maybe one of the automake targets do a full cleanup, I never tried to track
> >that down.  I never needed it.
>
> Doesn't "make distclean" do that?  But I too never needed it...

no.

"make distclean" should give you the same tree as when the tarball was
unpacked.

"make maintainer-clean" deletes a bit more than distclean, but it still
leaves "Makefile.in", "./configure", etc.

Even after maintainer clean, you don't need to run more than
        ./configure && make
to build the package.

I think autotools shouldn't even try to support the ``full cleanup''.
What if the ./autogen.sh (or ./bootstrap) has imported ``config.guess'',
gnulib modules, or whatever?

Automake, autopoint, autoheader could remove the files they generate,
but I doubt its worth the trouble.  Exporting a fresh tree seems much
safer.

Regards,
        Stepan Kasal