troubles with conditional install using automake

From: Guillaume Rousse
Subject: troubles with conditional install using automake
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:29:10 +0100

I'm trying to implement conditional installation of stuff with non-standard location, such as init-script. The basic idea is not to install them unless the user specify a location when running ./configure

However, it doesn't work with automake conditional
in configure.ac:
AC_ARG_WITH(
        initrddir,
        [  --with-initrddir=DIR    path to install init script],
        initrddir=$withval,
        initrddir=""
)
AC_SUBST(initrddir)
AM_CONDITIONAL(WANT_INITRD, test "$initrddir" != "")

in makefile.am, either:
if WANT_INITRD
        initrd_SCRIPTS = parserd
endif

In this situation, I don't have any installation target for initrd scripts in generated Makefile

or:
if WANT_INITRD
        INITRD = parserd
else
        INITRD =
endif
initrd_SCRIPTS = $(INITRD)

In this situation, I have an installation target for initrd scripts in generated Makefile, using $(initrd_SCRIPTS) as dependency. However, initrd_SCRIPTS is defined to $(INITRD) at the beginning of the Makefile, while INITRD is defined at the end of the Makefile, with other conditional variables, and thus appears empty when it is evaluated.

So, is there any solution to my problem before i consider using autoconf substitutions instead ?

BTW, I'm using autoconf 2.53 and automake 1.8

--
Napalm is an area support weapon
                -- Murphy's Military Laws n°126