No rule to make target

From: tlann
Subject: No rule to make target
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:41:34 -0700

I've looked through the archives for something similiar.  Hopefully, I'm
not duplicating a prior question.

I have a program that will compile and run through other tools
(kdevelop).  However, I can not get the program to compile using
autotools(autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.8.5 ) on Fedora Core 1.  I
realize that kdevelop already uses these tools.  But I'm trying to use
autotools to roll a tarball.

The name of the program is server for lack of a better name at the
moment.  The server directory includes a subdirectory src which holds
the source files.

I used autoscan to help create configure.in which is at the end of the
message.  The Makefile.am was modified from kdevelops which didn't work
for me.  Both files are at the end of the email.

I also use autoreconfig to update the neccesary files.  Every thing
seems to go fine until I try a make or make distcheck.
The error I get is
make: *** No rule to make target `server.cpp', needed by `distdir'.
Stop.

I've been combing through the makefile and several online documents for
a few days but I'm a bit lost at this point.
The error looks like it it trying to make a server.cpp but I don't quite
understand why.

Thanks for any help...

----------------
configure.in
========
AC_PREREQ(2.59)
AC_INIT(FULL-PACKAGE-NAME, VERSION, BUG-REPORT-ADDRESS)
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([config.h.in])
AC_CONFIG_HEADER([config.h])
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(server, 0.1)
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE

# Checks for programs.
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_CPP
AC_PROG_AWK
AC_PROG_INSTALL
AC_PROG_LN_S
AC_PROG_MAKE_SET
AC_PROG_RANLIB

# Checks for libraries.
# FIXME: Replace `main' with a function in `-ldl':
AC_CHECK_LIB([dl], [dlsym])

# Checks for header files.
AC_HEADER_STDC
AC_HEADER_SYS_WAIT
AC_CHECK_HEADERS([arpa/inet.h fcntl.h netdb.h netinet/in.h string.h
sys/socket.h sys/time.h unistd.h])

# Checks for typedefs, structures, and compiler characteristics.
AC_HEADER_STDBOOL
AC_C_CONST
AC_TYPE_PID_T

# Checks for library functions.
AC_FUNC_FORK
AC_FUNC_WAIT3
AC_CHECK_FUNCS([memset pow socket strerror])

AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
#                debug/Makefile  These were taken out to troubleshoot a
bigger bug
#                 debug/src/Makefile
#                 server-0.1/Makefile
#                 server-0.1/_build/Makefile
#                 server-0.1/_build/src/Makefile
#                 server-0.1/src/Makefile
#                 src/Makefile])
----------------------
Makefile.am
AC_OUTPUT
AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign 1.4

SUBDIRS = src .
bin_PROGRAMS = server
server_SOURCES = server.cpp htmlhandler.cpp socket.cpp serversocket.cpp
radiomanager.cpp pluginmanager.cpp plugin.cpp ConnectionManager.cpp
CXXFLAGS = Wl,--export-dynamic
server_LDFLAGS = -ldl