Re: depcomp preventing make distcheck(newbie question?)

From: Stephen Torri
Subject: Re: depcomp preventing make distcheck(newbie question?)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:57:42 -0500

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 22:03 -0500, Bill wrote:
> I'm at my wit's end. I've been banging my head against the wall with
> autotools for several months now, and with each turn I seem to meet trouble.
>
> Please see the attached tar.gz file. It contains my minimal testcase for
> the problem I'm having on my simulavrxx project.
>
> I get the error:
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/rivetwa/src/autotools/depcomp/simulavrxx-0.8.004/=build'
> Error: files left after distclean
> make: *** [distcheck] Error 1
>
> What am I doing wrong? (many things I'm sure)

First off let me state what version of the autotools I am using:

(Gentoo x86 system)
automake: 1.8.5
autoconf: 2.59

I find that the depcomp and all necessary files are grabbed what tarball
is made via 'make dist'. So there is no need to try and manually grab
those files by yourself. You are doing work that has already been done.
bin_PROGRAMS = hello_world

hello_world_SOURCES = main.cpp

So I modified your test Makefile.am to read:

  bin_PROGRAMS = hello_world
  hello_world_SOURCES = main.cpp

That's it.

When I removed your attempt to grab depcomp and the other associated
files I found it passed make distcheck.

Stephen