What is meant by, "XXX does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL"?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: What is meant by, "XXX does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL"?
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:16:40 -0800

The problem is is that XXX *DOES* actually appear in an AM_CONDITIONAL.
Right in the "configure.ac" file, actually.  So, obviously, it is having some
problem actually finding the AM_CONDITIONAL not not being clear enough
for me to fix the issue.  Is it necessary to macroize the text and only use
the macro in "configure.ac"?  If so that seems like it is very non-obvious.

==========

However, in the process of composing this, I have determined that this:

[`some-shell-script-test`
if test $? -eq 0
then
   AM_CONDITIONAL([XXX], [true])
else
  AM_CONDITIONAL([XXX],[false])
fi]

won't work, whereas:

AM_CONDITIONAL([XXX],[some-shell-script-test])

will.  Perhaps the search for the existence of "AM_CONDITIONAL([XXX]"
is a bit too weak?

Thanks!  - Bruce