Re: CCing list replies (was: Configuring automake says autoconf 2.58 or

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: CCing list replies (was: Configuring automake says autoconf 2.58 or higher needed. Have au toconf 2.59 installed. What is/goes wrong?)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:54:58 -0700

In this case I looked at the list of people in the discussion, knew
they were all subscribed, and intentionally mailed only to the list. ;-)

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
> > This is not addressed at me, but I also had to learn the hard way
> > that
> > - some gnu.org lists but not all automatically exclude subscribers if
> >   they are listed in To: or Cc:.
>
> This is customizable, see the mailman options page.

However, that feature does not work well.  It was designed to allow
cross-posting to several mailing lists and to avoid sending a
subscriber of multiple lists the same message.  That part works.
[Basically crossposting to several different mailing lists is
problematic and should be avoided in general.]

This feature is bad for people like me that file mailing lists into
separate folders.  I would only get one copy in one of the folders in
that case.  (I think crossposting to -announce and -devel is good, for
a counter example.  No discussion should happen on -announce.)

But the feature does not work at all if I am on the To: list and
subscribed both.  In that case I would not get the copy from the
mailing list.  In that case I would fail to file the message into the
appropriate folder because it would lacking the mailing list headers.
I think it is a bad mailing list feature.

Bob