Automake 1.9.4 won't pass all tests...

From: Ben @ Yahoo
Subject: Automake 1.9.4 won't pass all tests...
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:38:30 -0500

I am trying to install automake 1.9.4 from source on my system. The system is a
Slackware 10.0.0 installation on a PII/233.  I upgraded m4 to 1.4.2, and also
installed Diff Utils 2.8.1 from source.. Additionally, Bison 1.875 is
installed, from source I believe.  Otherwise, all software is as it comes from
the distro.

I have attached a script of the build, which simply follows the following
commands:

 $ ./configure
 $ make
 $ make check

However, it is failing 8 tests, XFAILs 3 tests, and skips 50 tests.  I'm not
terribly concerned about the XFAIL'd and skipped tests, but I don't want to
install the software until it passes all the tests.

The following is a list of the tests failed:

cond35.test
pr204.test
subpkg.test
yacc4.test
yacc6.test
yacc7.test
yacc8.test
yaccvpath.test

The following is a list of the test XFAIL'd:

auxdir2.test
cond17.test
txinfo5.test

As part of trying to figure out what is going on, I downloaded, compiled, and
tested all releases back to 1.8.5. All produced the same results, though one of
them (1.8.5, I think) skipped several tests.  I think the issue is with my
system, but I have no way of verifying it.  Other than the bulid script, is
there anything else I can send to the list (or individuals) that might help
figure the problem out?

Also, it would be nice if there was a document listing what programs and their
version automake required for installation. I know configure will generally
tell you, but it would be nice to be able to check a file first. Just a
thought.

TIA,

Ben