Re: install-data-local always installs?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: install-data-local always installs?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:42:50 +0100

Hi,
  your question is somewhat specific to the Gnome project.  Perhaps you
should find a Gnome developper forum to get better answer.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 03:35:52PM -0600, Seth Hadley wrote:
> should uninstall-local: be used for uninstalling the gconf,

I don't know gconf, so I cannot help you.

> schemadir = @GCONF_SCHEMA_FILE_DIR@
> schema_DATA = drwright.schemas
>
> if GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL
> install-data-local:
>         if test -z "$(DESTDIR)" ; then \
>           for p in $(schema_DATA) ; do \
>             GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=$(GCONF_SCHEMA_CONFIG_SOURCE)
> $(GCONFTOOL) --makefile-install-rule $(srcdir)/$$p ; \
>           done \
>         fi
> endif

> These lines seems to be common throughout gconf applications, I have
> tried it in several apps, and it does not seem to work for me.

One crucial thing to make this work is to define the automake conditional.
For example, gnumeric's configure.in contains this line:

AM_CONDITIONAL(GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL, $gnumeric_with_gnome)

See the chapter on automake conditionals in the automake manual.

And, of course, your SUBDIRS variables has to be set up right, so that
this directory is processed by make.

Please note that the above code is OK with automake 1.9.4, but not with
automake 1.7.x; for that you'd need to add an else branch:
        fi
else
install-data-local:
endif

> ps. the final Makefile does have this listed.

Well, you shouldn't see the code in Makefile.in.  The `if' and `endif'
lines should disappear and the inner lines should get prefixed by
@GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL_TRUE@

> will it be run _before_ /etc/gconf/schemas/drwright.schemas is removed
> (install in app).

I don't know; you need to ask at a Gnome forum.

HTH,
        Stepan Kasal