Re: strange problem

From: Antonio Coralles
Subject: Re: strange problem
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:37:07 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Antonio Coralles wrote:

> I'm writing on a program [C++] for about six month. Recently I tried to
> switch from my hand coded makefiles to autoconf/automake. I removed all my > makefiles, replaced them with the according Makefile.am's and managed to > build my program with ./configure; make after two days. So far, so good. Now > the problem is, that the resulting executable contains lot's of bugs - bugs > which didn't occur with my hand crafted make files. I tried to track them

One thing to be aware of is that C++ only assures static
initialization order at the translation unit (per source file) level.
Static initialization includes global variables. If the files are
linked somewhat differently, you may end up depending on something
which has not intialized yet.

Well, this is an interesting aspect. While I don't use any global variables [except for constants], I have static class members. I'll try to check that .... thanks !

antonio