Re: make dependencies not working for me...

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: make dependencies not working for me...
Date: 29 Jan 2005 16:42:57 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Ed, Ralf,
>
> * Ralf Corsepius wrote on Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 07:39:48AM CET:
> > On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 09:42 -0700, Ed Hartnett wrote:
> > > Howdy all!
> > >
> > > I'm a developer working on netCDF, a freeware library for climate and
> > > Earth scientists. Recently I converted from our old time-honored and
> > > hand-crafted Makefiles to automake generated files.
> > >
> > > But for some reason, using the automake generated files, dependency
> > > tracking no longer works. For example, if I do a make check, and find
> > > and fix a bug in one of my code files, and do a make check again, I
> > > get an error like this:
> > >
> > > bash-3.00$ make check
> > > Making check in libsrc
> > > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ed/n3_tmp1/libsrc'
> > > m4 -B10000 attr.m4 >attr.c
> > > if h5cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -Df2cFortran  -g -MT attr.o -MD -MP
> > > -MF ".deps/attr.Tpo" -c -o attr.o attr.c; \
> > ^^^^^^^^
> > Note this. What is h5cc?

Howdy Ralf and Ralf!

h5cc is from HDF5, which is a scientific data format library, used for
meteorology and climate studies. I am working on a project to in some
sense combine this with a competing data format called netCDF.

I very much appreciate your help! You were both correct, the problem
is with h5cc. When I use gcc instead make works perfectly. (But my
code doesn't compile! This is something I have to work out.)

I'll take a stab a figuring out why someday, but for now I'm just
happy to know that automake works (as I was sure it must), since this
is my first time using it.

Thanks!

Ed - Unidata