Re: 5.9 The Future of `aclocal'

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: 5.9 The Future of `aclocal'
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:15:52 -0800

On Sunday 30 January 2005 03:53 pm, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > In fiddling with sharutils, I discovered that it is  too early to encourage
> > the dropping of bootstrap scripts just yet.  "autoreconf" does not  provide
> > a way of convincing automake to run with the options, "--gnu" and
> > "--add-missing".
>
> Sure it does.  "--gnu" comes from AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS in Makefile.am or from
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, and "--add-missing" is added with "--install".

OK.  Maybe it is the way I use it.  In any case configure.ac has:

  AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.6 gnits dist-bzip2])

and I invoked "autoreconf" as you saw in the comment (*with* --install)
> ## autoreconf --force --install --include=m4 -Wall
and the files COPYING, INSTALL, config.guess and config.sub were not copied into
the directory until I directly invoked "automake" with the noted options:
> automake --gnu --add-missing --copy --ignore-deps -Wall

And, as I said, adding these options to the AUTOMAKE environment variable did
not work..
I haven't tried the AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS environment variable because it is an
unusual
option passing environment name, so I did not know to look for it.  Perhaps it
is just
my environment, but I did just do a fresh SuSE 9.2 install......

Thanks - Bruce