"include $(top_builddir)/aminclude.am" is ignored by automake

From: Tom Howard
Subject: "include $(top_builddir)/aminclude.am" is ignored by automake
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:50:50 +1100

Hi,

I use some m4 macros in my configure.ac that produce a file called
aminclude.am in the top build directory.  In my Makefile.am files I try
to include this by putting

include $(top_builddir)/aminclude.am

but instead of it being a automake include, it just remains a make
include (and not portable amongst other problems).

If I put

include aminclude.am

or

include ./aminclude.am

it works great (the Makefile.in contains the automaked contents of both
the Makefile.am and aminclude.am), but VPATH builds break (as . may not
be the top_builddir).

Now I'm guessing it doesn't work when I use $(top_builddir), because
normally the value of variables are not known until later (like when
it's processed with the autoconf generated configure script) and in the
Makefile.in they are just set to @address@hidden  $(top_builddir) is an
exception to this as it has is value set correctly in the actual
Makefile.in, rather than just the Makefile.

Is there anyway I can refer to that value besides using $(top_builddir)
so that automake includes the file, rather than leaving it for make to
include?   Or is there anyway I can make it include the file, despite
using $(top_builddir) in the include? I did some %TOPBDIR_P% entries or
similar in some internal automake files, but couldn't find anything that
would get substituted correctly.

Tom Howard

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x433B299A