Re: Running ./config.status

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Running ./config.status
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:59:57 +0100

* Noah Misch wrote on Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 03:32:01PM CET:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 02:49:29PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 05:10 -0800, Noah Misch wrote:
> > > If you believe `man perlrun', some systems do not respect #! and start all
> > > scripts under csh.

http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/shebang/ and
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/faq/part3/section-16.html
provide useful hints toward what Noah hints at,
and the former also has a list concerning length limitation.

> > I assume, the systems they refer to, actually are victim to the length
> > limitations some systems impose on "!# " lines.
>
> These appear to be two distinct issues.

Yes.

> > >   $(SHELL) ./script defends against that.
> > Theoretically, the "#!" limitations also could hit autoconf scripts,
> > esp. if autoconf is heading towards choosing "suitable shells on $PATH"
> > instead of using standard shells.
> > So adding $(SHELL) might not be wrong.

Yes.  I'd expect the number of problematic systems to be small, however.

> Good point.  I suspect more systems still in use truncate #! than execute
> scripts by running them through csh.

This is more likely an actual issue.

Please leave the $(SHELL) in.

Regards,