Re: config file location.

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: config file location.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:37:18 +0100

Hi Guillaume,

* Guillaume Rousse wrote on Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 01:26:32PM CET:

[ how to encode /etc ]

> So, am I supposed to use the sysconfdir macro, and have my configuration
> files installated in logical but unusual places by manual installation,
> or hardcode '/etc' path instead in my own programs and makefile.am ?

Use sysconfdir.  For your manual installations, use --sysconfdir=/etc.
You know that you are not overwriting or sharing files from other
packages there, while in general that is not known.

configure'ing software by hand without any options should not overwrite
installed files, thus the prefix /usr/local for everything.

A good thing to keep in mind here is:  Autoconf/Automake are not
replacements for a package management system.

Regards,