Re: why removing configure substitutions for myprog_DEPENDENCIES?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: why removing configure substitutions for myprog_DEPENDENCIES?
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:47:57 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 04:10:06PM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Would it be possible to compute myprog_DEPENDENCIES at make's
> runtime instead? At that time the real set of library names is
> known, even for 'make MYLIB=liba.a'. Maybe something like
>
> myprog_DEPENDENCIES = $(patsubst -%,,$(myprog_LDADD))
>
> Probably this is too much gmake, but surely you get the meaning.

It would be very hard to implement, I'm afraid.
The problem is that Automake aims to create portable makefiles, so
the language is quite limited.

Most of the problems are handled by AM_CONDITIONALs.
You can say:

if FOO
  myprog_LDADD += liba.a
endif

and the  myprog_DEPENDENCIES  are then computed correctly.

The situations when this is not enough are probably rare enough that
it's not worth it to create a complicated solution.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal