Re: macro `AM_PROG_AS' not found in library

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: macro `AM_PROG_AS' not found in library
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:17:22 -0700

STyx wrote:

> address@hidden /cygdrive/d/ST/dev/mysql/mysql-4.1
> $ aclocal
> aclocal: configure.in: 539: macro `AM_PROG_AS' not found in library
>
> address@hidden /cygdrive/d/ST/dev/mysql/mysql-4.1
> $ aclocal --version
> aclocal (GNU automake) 1.4-p6

Cygwin uses wrapper scripts for automake/autoconf/libtool.  This means
there's two sets of versions for each, and the wrapper tries to guess
which one to run based on the project.  In this case mysql 4.1 has
AC_PREREQ(2.12) in configure.in which will cause the wrapper to use the
'stable' (older) set of versions.  However, the 'stable' version of
automake in Cygwin is 1.4, which is too old to contain that macro.  The
'devel' version that is package is 1.9.2, and contains the macro.

If you're trying to build mysql under Cygwin, it's obvious you didn't
search the Cygwin list archive first.  There are a small number of
patches you must apply to the source to build under Cygwin, and they're
all nicely explained in a post by Gerrit P. Haase dated Thu, 4 Nov 2004
17:56:03 +0100.  One of the steps is to remove AC_PREREQ(2.12) so that
the -devel versions get called instead.  Please go read what others have
already figured out before blindly continuing.

> As you can see, I use the lastest version of cygwin.

No, in fact all you've shown is that you have the current version of
automake-stable installed.  You could have any version of Cygwin
installed, and for all we know you might not even have the
automake-devel package installed.  This is why on the Cygwin list we ask
people to attach their cygcheck output, because nobody ever gives enough
information.  (This it the automake list, so obviously cygcheck output
is not welcome here, but you still didn't provide much context.)

Brian