question about directory names in makeinfo --html invocation...

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: question about directory names in makeinfo --html invocation...
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:12:43 -0600

Howdy all!

I have a file, netcdf.texi, and when the automake generated makefile
builds the html pages, it end up putting them in directory
netcdf.html, instead of directory netcdf.

Since I have multiple manuals which cross reference each other, this
is a problem. According to makeinfo, a reference to the top of this
manual should be in directory netcdf, and it's not finding it.

Here's the makefile output that shows what's happening:

rm -rf netcdf.htp
if /bin/sh /home/ed/n3_tmp1/missing --run makeinfo --html
--css-include=unidata.css  -I . \
 -o netcdf.htp netcdf.texi; \
then \
  rm -rf netcdf.html; \
  if test ! -d netcdf.htp && test -d netcdf; then \
    mv netcdf netcdf.html; else mv netcdf.htp netcdf.html; fi; \
else \
  if test ! -d netcdf.htp && test -d netcdf; then \
    rm -rf netcdf; else rm -Rf netcdf.htp netcdf.html; fi; \
  exit 1; \
fi

It seems that makeinfo is creating the output in the netcdf directory,
but automake has inserted some commands into the makefile to copy that
to netcdf.html.

Why?

Can I stop it?

Thanks!