Re: broken make distclean...

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: broken make distclean...
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 06:37:40 -0600

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Ed, David,
>
> * David Fang wrote on Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 07:23:15PM CEST:
>> > I recently started seeing the following problem doing a make distclean:
>> >
>> > rm -rf ../libsrc/.deps ./.deps
>>
>>      (Autotools amateur here, so please correct me nicely if I'm wrong!
>> :) )  I'd say the above line is the problem is the above line, where your
>> Makefile is touching something that's not an immediate subdirectory, i.e.
>> cross-removing .deps files in ../libsrc while it's operating in libsrc4.
>
> I tend to agree with this.  However..
>
>> Generally one should avoid that because the .deps files are always
>> generated and read by the Makefiles.  distclean is particularly sensitive
>> to this.  Does your Makefile .am have ../libsrc in the SUBDIRS?  I'm
>> guessing that might have caused it.  When distclean cleaned the
>> directories in reverse order, it pulled the wheels out from under the
>> cart.
>
> I can't see anything remotely like that in netcdf-4.0-alpha5/libsrc4.
> Only a *_LIBADD that crosses directory boundaries which should be fine.
>
>> > rm -f Makefile
>> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ed/netcdf-3/libsrc4'
>> > Making distclean in libsrc
>> > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ed/netcdf-3/libsrc'
>> > Makefile:364: .deps/attr.Plo: No such file or directory
>
> Ed: I can't reproduce this with alpha5.  Which Automake version do you
> use?
>
> BTW, what I _can_ reproduce with that version and hdf5-1.6.4 is a
> missing preprocessor define `H5S_NULL'.  Dunno which package is at fault
> here, though.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Thanks Ralf,

I fixed this by turning netcdf-2 into a convenience library. I'll have
another alpha release soon.

The challenge was to have the netcdf-2 code build using either
netcdf-3 or netcdf-4 as a base, and have that be decided at configure
time.

Using a convenience library made it work great.

Thanks!

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden