Re: I: adjust test suite for upcoming GNU Make 3.83

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: I: adjust test suite for upcoming GNU Make 3.83
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:06:51 +0200

>>> "pds" == Paul D Smith <address@hidden> writes:

 pds> Hi all;
 pds> I got no real response to this.  This release of GNU make (3.81) is
 pds> coming up (one hopes!) and this seems like a real problem that we need
 pds> to come up with a solution for.  If we don't it seems like automake and
 pds> GNU make 3.81 and Java simply will not be usable together.

I Paul.  Your mail came in right when I was browsing my TODO
list for things to do before Automake 1.9.6.  One entry is "ping
about dollar.test".  My last mail about this is here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2005-03/msg00067.html

[...]

 pds> One of the words in the .FEATURES list will be second-expansion if this
 pds> feature is present.

 pds> However, I see no way to take advantage of this that is compatible with
 pds> non-GNU versions of make.

I can't see any way either.

Is there a way to disable this feature?  That might be the
simplest solution.

 pds> I don't know whether automake currently works correctly
 pds> for Java with any other version of make, but this would
 pds> definitely cause that not to be the case going forward.

I believe $-filenames works only with GNU make.

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz