Re: creating a distro

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: creating a distro
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:11:05 +0200

Hi,
  this is an Automake question, so please let's move to the Automake list.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 02:47:15AM +0000, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> I have a distro that contains optionally-built subdirs.
> I have found that I must enable these builds if I am going to "make
> dist".

No, you can use DIST_SUBDIRS or, better yet, AM_CONDITIONAL.  See below.

>    SUBDIRS=$(READLINE_DIR) various tgdb cgdb
>    DIST_SUBDIRS=various tgdb cgdb
>    EXTRA_DIST=config $(READLINE_DIR)

No, $(READLINE_DIR) doesn't belong to EXTRA_DIST.

DIST_SUBDIRS should contain all possible subdirs.  So it should contain
the name of the readline subdir, even if you configured without it:
     DIST_SUBDIRS=readline-1.2.3 various tgdb cgdb

This is the whole purpose of DIST_SUBDIRS; it contains conditional subdirs,
even if they are not enabled.

But it's much more convenient to let Automake compute DIST_SUBDIRS for you.
Add this to your configure.ac:
---
# determine whether to build readline
...  build_readline=yes
# Tell to Automake:
AM_CONDITIONAL([READLINE], [test "$build_readline" = yes])
---
and in your Makefile.am do:
---
SUBDIRS =
if READLINE
  SUBDIRS += readline-1.2.3
endif
SUBDIRS = various tgdb cgdb
---

With this setup, Automake will dist all subdirs, no matter what configure
options you will use.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal