Re: creating a distro

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: creating a distro
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:42:00 +0200

Hello,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:57:28AM -0400, Bob Rossi wrote:
> Yes, this is what I have. The problem is, the readline directory does
> not have a distdir rule, so I end up with the error,
>
>    make[1]: Entering directory
>    `/home/bob/cvs/cgdb/cgdb.packrl/in-rl/readline-5.0'
>    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `distdir'.  Stop.
>    make[1]: Leaving directory
>    `/home/bob/cvs/cgdb/cgdb.packrl/in-rl/readline-5.0'
>    make: *** [distdir] Error 1
>
> Any suggestions?

what about patching the readline makefiles?

Perhaps you should use the original Makefile.am sources from readline and
use new Automake to generate suitable makefiles.

Or you can hook into the process using readline-5.0/configure.gnu.
That shell script would add a fake distdir rule to readline-5.0/Makefile.in
and then call the real configure.  (With AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS, configure.gnu
in a subdir has precedence, if it exists.)

Or you could use 'makefile' which would handle 'distdir' and have

TARGETS = ...
.PHONY: $(TARGETS)
$(TARGETS):
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFILE) $@

for all other targets.
It might be laborous to collect the list for TARGETS, but you'll stay
portable.

Or you can make use of a GNU specific feature, and activate this hack
only if GNU make is available.  "make dist" is usually done with gmake
anyway, isn't it?

Hope some of these hints help,
        Stepan Kasal